Saturday, April 3, 2010

Hand Held Bug Zapper

If you aren't already familiar with the hand held bug killer, you are really going to love it and if you have had one before, I'm sure you'll welcome it back like an old friend! The electric insect killer does just what it says: it zaps bugs. But it does it really, very well. Any bug that comes into contact with the electric insect zapper is electrocuted. Smaller insects like gnats and mosquitoes are disintegrated with a very satisfying flash and a crack. Larger insect, like house flies and wasps die, but don't explode like the smaller ones.

Think about it, how many times have these flying bugs taken the edge off an otherwise lovely evening in the garden? Or how many times have you not been able to get a decent night's sleep, because you know there's at least one mosquito in the bedroom. It has happened to me hundreds of times, I know! It is very gratifying to get your revenge with the electronic bug zapper.

I don't like killing things unnecessarily - I'm married to a Buddhist- but mosquitoes? I'm sorry, they can die. And the hand held insect zapper dispatches them without any messing about. No waiting and hoping they'll fly into the ultraviolet light and then into the mesh. No, one sweep of the handheld insect zapper and the mosie's gone and you can hear whether you killed her or not. (I say her, because the sucking mosquitoes always are females - honest, I wasn't being sexist).

There are two basic kinds of electronic insect killer. There's the battery operated bug zapper and the rechargeable electric bug zapper. Both work on the same principle, but I prefer the rechargeable type, although I suppose you could use rechargeable batteries too. (I bet they would be more expensive that the bug zapper in the first place). Anyway, I have been using a handheld insect zapper of the rechargeable sort for five years and I am ecstatic about them.

These days, I spend a great deal of time in northern Thailand with my wife, so you can bet your life that my electric bug killer gets a good work-out almost every evening. We usually eat in the garden in the evening and all socializing is done outside by tradition, especially in the country, where we live, so it comes in real handy. I also use my hand held insect zapper to 'sweep' the bedroom for bugs before we go to sleep at night, just like a secret agent.

The handheld bug zapper just gets better and better every time I buy one, which makes it hard to give you definite specifications. The electronic bug zappers I used four or five years ago, often failed within 6-9 months of purchase, although their ability to store a charge reduced a lot after 4-5 months.

However, the new hand held insect zapper will last 9-12 months and still be very pokey after nine months. My latest model even has a powerful light called a headlamp built into it. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be for, but if you feel that revenge is sweet, you can attract mosquitoes with it and then zap them with your hand held bug killer.

Have you ever heard of a handheld bug zapper? If not, or if you are interested in getting a handheld bug zapper, please visit those links to our web site or blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment