Monday, March 15, 2010

Thoughts On Insuring Your Motorhome

Insurance Times published an article recently stating that the financial ombudsman had decreed that there are certain circumstances in which it would back the policyholder over the insurer, excluding however, instances where keys have been left in or near a car. I was then left wondering if the same would apply to motor homes. The family and I had a late night in our motorhome playing cards and went to sleep very tired. As a result, when we woke up the next morning we were already late for a rendezvous that we had arranged with our close friends and fellow motor homers, the Wilsons. The usual queue for the shower ensued and by the time we were finally ready to go, our friends had decided to explore the country-side without us.

I then realised I couldn't find the keys so the whole family got together and we searched to motorhome high and low. With my usual patient and calm demeanour I accused each family member of stealing the keys, which was followed by more accusations of half-hearted searching for the keys, before finally accepting my son's story that aliens had come from mars and stolen the keys. So I then went to get my phone from the cab so that I could call my insurance company for help. I was stranded in a field with a miserable family and to make things worse, it was about to rain.

There in the centre consul, with my phone, were the keys! Oh my goodness. I had left the keys of my precious motor home in the cab. I couldn't help wondering if my motor home would have been insured if it had been stolen and my mind drifted back to the Insurance Times article.

If my motorhome had been a car the ombudsman would have considered

Location
Was I in a position to deter a thief
Was I recklessly ignoring the risks
Mitigating factors
Whether I knew about the exclusion in the insurance policy

I would like to think I would have been given this kind of consideration as well with my motorhome. I would say you have a much higher chance of getting a comprehensive insurance deal to cover any situation if you go through an insurance broker.

For a leading service in motorhome insurance contact Coversure insurance. Their motorhome insurance is a cut above the restand you'll leave with peace of mind that you're covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment